After rebuild my new computer I went to fire up my 3D printer again for the first time. Instantly I had that sinking feeling where I remembered the countless hours I had spent configuring Slic3r and Repetier. Hopefully I wouldn’t have to start from scratch!
I had settled on Repetier Host a while back as my go to all in one 3D printing solution and this is a documented process for transferring (or just backing up!) your settings from one machine to another. Now I make no guarantees that this is a complete guide, but this is what seemed to work for me.
Backing Up (Done on the old machine)
- Launch regedit.exe and browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Repetier then right click on the Repetier Folder and select Export. Save this file someplace safe. Example RepetierRegistry.reg
- Browse to C:\Users\dave.HUNTGANG\AppData\Local\RepetierHost and copy all of these files to someplace safe
- Browse to C:\Users\dave.HUNTGANG\AppData\Roaming\Slic3r and copy these files to someplace safe
Note: The folder dave.HUNTGANG should be replaced with the name of your user account
Restoring (Done on new computer)
- Double click on your Repetier Registry settings file. Example RepetierRegistry.reg
- Browse to C:\Users\newprofile\AppData\Local\ and restore the RepetierHost folder
- Browse to C:\Users\newprofile\AppData\Roaming\ and restore the Slic3r folder
- Now simply Install Repetier Host from their website and you should be good to go!
Here is a copy of my settings for safe keeping, you are welcome to try them on your printer, but knowing how much tweaking I did, they are pretty printer specific.